On Trend: Brown Lipstick

Posted by follow me On 0 comments

If you were a teen in the 90s like I was, you might remember that Rimmel Heather Shimmer was the lipstick that everyone wore.  Apart from me, that is - I fancied myself a bit of a rebel, and so I wore Coffee Shimmer, a frosty mid brown.  I'm sure it looked very fetching with my pale, pink toned skin.  And the good news, my friends, is that brown is back - apparently it is the hottest lip colour of the moment.

Not that I've seen anyone wearing a brown lip recently, but hey.

I popped into Boots the other day to have a little swatch of Coffee Shimmer (yes, you can still purchase it and its twin Heather Shimmer) and it looks much the same as it did when I was younger - mid brown, slightly grey toned, and frosty.  It didn't look so hot on my hand, so needless to say I didn't buy one, nostalgia or not.

Now, I only have one brown in my (extensive) lip collection, and it's OCC Lip Tar in Fondue, which I mostly use for mixing.  It's a rich, deep chocolate brown, and thus should be bang on trend.  In the interests of trendiness, I tried it on.  Blotted down a bit, it's a properly chocolatey stain, which in this close up shot doesn't look too bad.

Within the context of my whole face, though, I think it's deeply unflattering.  It does nothing for my skintone and makes me look a bit lifeless.  Lipstick in a flattering colour can inject colour, life, and brightness to the face, but this is the opposite on me.

To be honest, I'm not sure who this trend will actually work for, and I suspect it might be a similar thing to the whole black lips trend that was so big last year - short lived and not particularly wearable outside of the catwalk.

What do you think?  Can you pull off a chocolate brown lip?  Will you be trying?

0 comments:

Post a comment on: On Trend: Brown Lipstick