Old Collections New: The Grace Kelly Barbie

Posted by follow me On 0 comments
When I was younger I went through a phase where I decided that having collections of “things” was WAY cool (maybe that’s why I am currently on the verge of being considered a semi-hoarder!?)hmmm… ANYWAY – I decided to gather the multiples of everything I had which meant a “collection” of Cupcake Girls (do you remember these AWESOME dolls that folded up into cupcakes, but when “unfolded” they just looked like cute girls in dresses with big hats with pleated skirts? I may STILL be obsessed with these things and for a fact had the one to the left.), a “collection” of Polly Pockets (also an AWESOME invention, but I ended up having to “borrow” some of my sister’s in order to actually make it look like I had more than one of these things), and of course, a “collection” of Piggy Banks (who doesn't have a collection of Piggy Banks, right?! Although mine were not all shaped like pigs…turns out for a couple of birthday’s in a row I was gifted unique banks from my Aunts and Uncles…which, by the way, there is still this one little green “cash register” bank that I am obsessed with).

So it will be no surprise to you that I actually went through a Barbie collecting phase as well. Again, I never really had more than one or two “collectable” Barbies, but I remember dying for the evening Barbie in her black sparkly dress with her thick black cat eyeliner and pale pink lips. I did end up receiving “evening” Barbie for Christmas one year and I kept her in her box (if not on a box, on a stand) most of the time on a shelf in my room. I tried to make my other Barbies legit “collectable” pieces by prettying them up with “brushed” hair and perfect outfits. I had the Aurora Barbie from Sleeping Beauty (her eyes actually shut when you rubbed cold water over them…and yes, she apparently rocked some awesome blue eye shadow) and the Belle Barbie (from Beauty and the Beast) and kept them both in pretty good shape…that is, until the day that a family friend’s son came over to our house, played in our playroom while I wasn’t home and proceeded to rip the head off of Belle. I think you all know how a Barbie is never the same once you try to “re-attach” her head.

So while I dreamed that my Barbie collection was even more amazing, I flipped through the pages of this Barbie book, gifted to me by one of my Aunts and Uncles (sadly, I’m not sure which Aunt/Uncle gave me this book or when they gave it to me) and it is still displayed on my living room shelf to this day. You’ll notice the book has certainly had some wear and tear…notice the ripped cover and of course I needed to “claim” the book as mine so I penned my name in not one, but two places (obviously I upgraded my signature as my cursive skills developed).

I really do love this book and still enjoy looking at it from time to time. There are some really fun things in this book, including an entire “designer” section where top designer houses like Dior and Valentino created their own version of Barbie…and of course, the outfits were to die for. The wedding Barbies are too funny and super vintage and for some reason I was always drawn to this one particular Barbie with her netted blue and green “senior prom” dress.

So while I have given up “collecting” toys, imagine my surprise when I came across this LOVELY (OMG so excited) Barbie soon to be released -- a Grace Kelly replica Barbie doll. Would it be crazy for me to buy this $175 Barbie? Yes, of course it would be, but I’m eerily drawn to the doll thinking that someday I could pass it along to my daughter (uhoh, my hoarding habits are coming out again!). Let’s be honest, I’d really be getting it for me…look how beautiful it is…the dress and the veil and the gorgeous face (ok, it’s getting weird, I know)…I know I live in New York City where we have no room whatsoever to store anything, but I want this. BADLY. I think maybe it would fulfill my dreams of ever having a collection of Barbies if I could just get this one….what do you think hubby?! :) :) HA!

DID YOU "COLLECT" ANYTHING WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER?!

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Old Collections New: The Grace Kelly Barbie