Weekend Rundown

Posted by follow me On 0 comments
Well, we did a whole lot of nothing.

Friday night I visited with one of my favorite friends in the whole wide world who was in town showing a friend NYC (and look what she sent me from when she was in London a few weeks ago....yes, BRITISH Kit Kats...read about my love for them HERE), got in two really great workouts, the hubs and I watched a little bit of some golf tournament that was on TV (I wish I could tell you I knew the name of it) and some of the Women’s World Cup, enjoyed a restaurant week lunch at Blue Smoke an NYC BBQ place that we hadn't yet tried, downed the most AMAZING dessert at said lunch - blueberry crisp with lemon buttermilk ice cream...ohhhh boy, we took about 14 walks together outside (some with the pup and some without because, well, it was a HOT one people!) and admired this beautiful/weird/crazy/busy/but kind of cool city that we live in. Oh, we also perused real estate web-sites looking at houses in the place we’d eventually like to move back to….it’s fun to pick out houses with a pretend unlimited budget!

I kept up with my promise of cooking something new…kind of (big surprise, right?!). I made a version of Outback’s “Alice Springs Chicken” and while I know that I was supposed to also experiment with a new side item…well, all I really wanted was a handful of pita chips (there's always this week!) The main dish was awesome though (and SO RIDICULOUSLY SIMPLE, obviously) – chicken, mushrooms, bacon and “homemade” honey-mustard sauce rocks my world…oh, don’t forget about the pepper jack and cheddar melted on top!

I did however keep my promise of baking a new treat on Sunday afternoon. I’m not breaking any culinary ground with these recipes (believe me, I realize that!), but I went with a new version of an M&M cookie…or, “Rainbow Cookie” as the recipe touted. **I’m into cookies. I’ve never really been a huge fan of them, but lately, for some odd reason I’ve been craving cookies A LOT. This is both weird, and the reason why I chose a cookie recipe as my first baking excursion in this new “cooking promise” I’ve made for myself**

So the cookies were pretty good although I’ve got to say, I should’ve added a little more salt. The recipe actually didn’t call for any – only salted butter – and while I was making it I was a little skeptical of this, but went with it anyway…turns out, I was right, not salty enough. The recipe though, it’s staying in the binder because the base of the cookie was pretty darn good and I simply made sure I added a note to the page to “add a little salt” to the dough.

Anyone whip up anything delicious this weekend? Anyone take a walk outside? Did you do a whole lot of nothing too?

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Weekend Rundown