My First "Big Girl Job" - A Reflection

Posted by follow me On 0 comments
**Long post ahead reflecting on my jobs....feel free to sit this one out! :)**

Well, it is my last day at Government Relations/Lobbying firm in Washington, DC. My very first, "big girl job" has officially come to an end. Ok, yes, I did work a temporary job when M. and I first moved to DC, but this job was my first taste of what it feels like to have a good paycheck coming in every two weeks, full benefits and vacation time.

The chain of events that led me to this position were all so interesting. While at my "temporary" job I had full access to my computer/internet for many hours during the workday. During one of the slow days at work I had time to check a few DC job websites for new postings (which I did religiously while at home in the evenings) and happened upon a posting for Government Relations/Lobbying firm. I immediately emailed my resume and cover letter and within an hour had scheduled an interview for that next morning. My now boss asked if I minded coming in early, around 7:30am -- I replied to his email with a "Not at all! I will be there." I was so excited to have an interview for an actual job, job with such promise for a great salary and work environment.

M. dropped me off that morning at the office for my interview (this was the first week of October, a Tuesday to be exact) and then he went for a little breakfast to kill time until I called for him to come and pick me up. My interview that morning went extremely well and I felt like I had a great shot at getting the job, but I was nervous because I had no real background in Government Relations or Lobbying. I went on with working at my temporary job for a few days and that Friday I had an email in my inbox from my current boss -- he offered me the position and I was SO ELATED that I cried. I relentlessly applied for job after job months before and following my graduation day, went to interview after interview for many a job (I didn't really find one that "fit" what I was looking for and some of the salaries were just atrocious) and FINALLY I had found a job that I was actually interested in and actually paid the right amount for myself and my at the time law-student fiancée to survive on in the city.

I remember how nervous I was to tell my temporary job boss that I would be leaving her after only about a month and a half of work when I had told her just before starting in the position that I was looking for a longer-term commitment. **I've come to realize, that for the most part, this is just part of the process. Everyone is looking for someone "long-term." No boss wants to go through the hiring process over and over again.** When I finally told her that I would be leaving she seemed hurt -- for the first time in my month and a half of working with her I sensed real emotion from her and not some fakey-fake personality. My temporary job boss and my other two employees hugged me on my last day and told me that they'd miss me, but by then they were back to their fakey-fake personalities. I was more than excited to leave and I'm pretty sure they could sense it.

I took a few days off (which was wonderful after working Monday-Saturday with only Tuesdays and Sundays off) and just relaxed. I was really excited to start work though -- and more excited to get my first paycheck! My first week was easier than easy -- my boss was out of the country on a business trip to China so I had plenty of time to review my responsibilities list and peruse my computer to familiarize myself with all of the company documents and procedures. I met my fellow employees and everyone was very nice and welcoming.

I started out absolutely LOVING my job. My boss is really amazing -- the nicest, most understanding boss a girl could have. I excelled at the tasks that he would give me and always presented him with my best work products. He was impressed from the beginning which was encouraging since I was so worried about not having background in the area of which his office works. My boss would close the office early many days during the week, offered plenty of vacation time and sick days, and for the most part was pleasant to work with. After about four months in my position I was starting to get bored with the work that I was doing, but with all of the wedding preparations and fun events to attend, it didn't really bother me too much. Right about now is when M. started hearing an earful each night about what I would do each day and how I'd get so annoyed by certain things going on in the office.

The wedding happened in June and once I got back to work my mind started to shift into "find a new position" mode. There is no position in my current office that I could really transition into so I started up my job search again. I was quickly reminded of how searching for a job is the absolute WORST! I wasn't finding anything I was really interested in and gave up for a little while, instead I tried to make the best of my position. About a month and a half later I got the itch again, new job searching it was -- despite how frustrating or time consuming it may be. Little did I know that my job search wouldn't end up being all that difficult...

I often perused one particular job site for openings (and by often you can read: three times a week!) and always dreamed of being called for an interview. A chance meeting with one woman led me to connection to another woman which led me to an email asking if I wanted to come in for an interview. Would I like to come in for an interview!? If I could have screamed YES through the computer monitor I would have. I was ABSOLUTELY, INCREDIBLY excited to simply interview for a position -- I never thought that I would actually GET the job.

Well, you all pretty much know the rest of the story since I spilled all of my feelings out on the blog in the days post-interview. Monday, November 1st will mark my first day in my new position. My new job matches my interests WAY more closely then my current job, but what this situation has showed me, more than ever, is that everything happens for a reason.

All through college I DREAMED of doing something big with my career after graduation. I had completed three internships (one in New York City, one in my hometown and one while I was in London) and felt absolutely sure that I was on my way to achieving, or at least starting the process of achieving that dream. The job market when I graduated was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE and my dreams of having an awesome and interesting first position immediately out of college began to dwindle. I was discouraged and really wasn't even sure WHAT I wanted to do or be.

I knew that my first, temporary job would be just that -- temporary. I saw it as my money maker while trying to find my "real" first job. During that temporary job though, I learned negative ways of building and running a business including how NOT to treat paying customers. I learned that being fake is not the way to do well in your job and that well, it's just plain annoying. Even though it would sometimes make my temporary boss upset, being honest worked wonders for me in the position and I ended up with happier customers. Finally, I learned that just because someone tells you that you can't do something because, for example, "no one else was able to make a sale until at least their third month of working," doesn't mean that it cannot be done. It must have stunned my temporary boss when I made 5 sales in my first month and half of work...just sayin'. ;)

My current job with Government Relations/Lobbying firm has taught me the beauty of patience in the workplace as well as how to appropriately schedule/manage tasks and assignments. I've learned to work with employees who have varying personalities and one employee specifically has reminded me that one REALLY shouldn't take themselves so seriously. I've learned more about the government/legislation/ and house and senate voting than I ever thought I could....and I've confirmed that I really just am NOT THAT INTERESTED in any of it...say what you will, but at the same time I've also learned that sometimes (just sometimes) things that I'm not "interested" in can be interesting for a second or two...maybe. :) I've really enjoyed being on top of the current news in Washington, DC and all around the world and with CNN constantly streaming right in front of my face on my office TV there was really no way around it anyway. I experienced first hand working for someone who doesn't know ANYTHING about computers except that when he starts typing words magically appear on the screen in front of him -- I also experienced first hand working for someone who owns a blackberry that has the ability to send emails, but prefers to call me to have me walk to his computer to dictate over the phone (his blackberry) emails and then send said emails when he is out of the office instead. I learned that a job with no daily interaction with others is not my kind of job. I learned that in addition to being able to make "impossible sales" as listed above from temporary job, I can also take on tasks that I know nothing about and surprise myself -- such as writing complete legislative report briefings for two of our biggest clients -- never thought I'd be able to do this!

Most of all, I am reminded that He has a plan for me and that things really do happen for a reason. I moved to Washington, DC to be with my husband while he embarked on a special opportunity of his own with a local law school. I took a job that I was interested in, but quickly turned into something I knew would be temporary. I lucked out by applying for the right job at the right time and interviewing well enough to be chosen for the position with my current employer. I had a conversation with a woman, who little did I know would hold the key to my next position - a dream position - with a company that I have always admired in a completely different city. Finally, I was introduced to and married the most amazing man who fully supports my new career choice and this new adventure that we'll be taking together. Life is SO good.

I started my current job on October 15, 2009 and I received the offer for my new position on October 14, 2010. It's amazing how much things can change in just one year. Not to mention, from the window of my new office building I can see the windows/space where I worked my very first internship in New York City during the summer of 2007 -- where my dreams of an amazing career were molded and developed. I never could have imagined during my time in the City that summer just how amazing life could be...obviously, for more reasons than one!

There will surely be good times and bad on this new adventure, but with a supportive husband and family by my side I will surely succeed! Here's to the newest bricks being placed in my career path and in my life!

0 comments:

Post a comment on: My First "Big Girl Job" - A Reflection