Navigating by the Stars

Posted by follow me On 0 comments

I am once again joining Suzanne at her blog The Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingy Thursday. My Vintage Thingy for today belongs to my husband David. It was given to him by his late father. Inside this antique box is a wonderful instrument used by
sailors.

This instrument is called a sextant. It was invented in 1757 by John Bird, an English instrument maker. It was the most accurate manual instrument for charting the stars. Being able to accurately chart the stars is critical for the navigation of sailing ships.



Here is a photo of John Brawley Freeman, my husband's late father. John was a graduate of the US Coast Guard Academy.


This is a drawing of the "Danmark" a 253' full-rigged ship built in Lolland, Denmark in 1932. She was based in New London, Connecticut and more than 5,000 Coast Guards were trained on this ship. John was one of those cadets.


My husband David dearly loved his Dad, and these items are treasures to him. As one who loved John and loves sailing, they are very precious to me too. I hope you have enjoyed my Vintage Thingy for this Thursday. Please stop by and visit Suzanne our lovely hostess and the other participants. Ahoy Matey!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Navigating by the Stars