Which Movie Wedding Are You?

Posted by follow me On 0 comments
When M. asked me to marry him I didn't immediately start planning our wedding based on plans that I have had made since I was 6 years old, but I did know exactly the type of wedding I wanted and it was mainly based off of a movie that I have loved for a LONG time now -- I would even go so far as to say that it is my all time favorite movie -- it really just never gets old.

So before I reveal what "movie wedding" I am...let's look at some good options...

Are you the: "Classic with a Modern Twist" Wedding

I immediately think of the movie 27 Dresses. Malin Akerman who plays the "bride" in this movie spends her time planning a classic wedding with a modern twist. Instead of the princess dress complete with the giant poofy skirt and lace detailing she chose a beautiful Amsale gown with a full skirt, fitted top and very little embellishment. Personally I think this dress makes the gorgeous (and not to mention, very skinny) Malin look a little bit pregnant, but that's just because I'm not a big fan of an empire waist. For her reception location she chose the clean & crisp lines of The Central Park Boathouse in New York City (even though we all know how this movie ended -- and it wasn't with Malin's character getting married!). I think The Boathouse would be a gorgeous reception venue with its romantic view over the water. Finally, let's take a peek at Malin's "rehearsal dinner". It was obviously set in a local NYC restaurant (modern twists here), but the whole feel was again, clean and simple -- small floral arrangements and champagne toasts, but a modern twist with the luminary-like table lighting and the almost grecian style dress she wears (which is by Temperly London and I have been OBSESSED with ever since seeing the movie -- unfortunately I haven't ever been able to locate this dress and I've looked MANY times). If you're not Class with a Modern Twist then...

Are you the: "Easy Breezy Beach" Wedding

Of course I needed to follow the first "movie wedding" with this one, coincidentally from the same flick. Katherine Heigel's character in 27 Dresses take the easy breezy beach theme for her "wedding." Obviously the movie didn't have too many details about her day, but let's examine the things we do have. Katherine's character wears a simple v-neck sheath, almost J.Crew like. I liked her choice here -- the dress fits perfectly and isn't too fussy. Her jewelry choices are also simple -- pearl posts and a delicate gold necklace. Her makeup -- minimal, and her hair swept up and to the side accented with a fresh flower. Her location is the least fussy ever -- ocean front with soft sand all around. Finally, I would say her flower choice is the most "done" thing about this entire affair. Katherine's character carries a full bouquet with a color scheme of yellow, cream and fresh green. Clearly a relaxed affair utilizing the beauty of the outdoors. If you're not really into the Easy Breezy Beach Wedding then...

Are you the: "It'll Be a Big Family Affair" Wedding

If you haven't seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding then you absolutely must because it's a great film! In this movie Nia Vardalos's character is from a BIG GREEK family and her wedding was going to be nothing short of exactly what this film's title is! The ceremony -- traditional. The guests -- her ENTIRE family and everyone inbetween. Her dress -- BIG, just like the guest list! A good amount of poof (I mean, you've got to be able to pick out the bride in that big crowd, right?!) with LOTS of embellishment -- lace, beading, sleeves, roses (the whole kitchen sink...no, just kidding)! Her veil and jewelery -- choker necklace, big dangly earrings, ribbon trimmed veil cathedral length with blusher. Need I say more?! This "bride" is all about....well, EVERYTHING! Not feeling all of the "stuff" that comes along with the "it'll be a big family affair" wedding....

Are you the: "Daddy's Little Girl" Wedding

Every girl has seen Father of the Bride. I think that this film would come in second for my favorite movies ever! This movie wedding has many classic elements, but mixes them with the quaint home-grown feel. Kimberly Williams-Paisley (then just Williams) plays the adorable Annie Banks who comes home from time abroad with more than just a passport full of stamps -- she comes home with a man by her side! Everyone loves the wedding planner, Franck who puts together a beautiful wedding at the "Banks" family home. Steve Martin is shocked by the price of wedding cakes at first, but he clearly had no idea what was coming! Annie's "wedding" was traditional in so many ways. Her dress was made beautiful lace with a high neckline and long sleeves. Her veil and jewerly are classic -- small drop pearl earrings and a veil of fluffy tulle netting. She carries a bouquet of cream and pale, pale pink roses that are just barely opened up with very little green or leafy accents. Her hair was clean and simple and pulled back away from her face. She was a young girl with a very grown up look. Since I know you've all seen the reception I don't really even have to explain here -- classic surroundings all in the comfort of the "bride's family's" front yard. If you're not the "Daddy's Little Girl" Wedding...

Are you the: "Timeless Soiree" Wedding

This is the wedding that I like to best think (or at least hope) mine will be like. Ever since my first time seeing this movie I just fell in love with every little detail. Kimberly Wallace's (played by Cameron Diaz, my ultimate favorite!) "wedding" is the ultimate timeless soiree. Everything about it is perfection to me. I love all of her pre-wedding attire choices -- Cameron's character looks positively perfect in her simple, but brightly colored shift dresses and accessories. She wears simple jewlery that doesn't detract from her big, friendly smile. Her hair throughout the movie is perfectly coiffed, but not fussy looking. Her wedding ceremony is held in a grand (BEAUTIFUL) church and her ceremony is in a gorgeous white tent. Unfortunately I had a hard time finding pictures of this movie wedding online, but I'm sure that most of you have seen this film! I wasn't a huge fan of the dress she wore, but I guess we have to remember the movie did come out in the 90's!! Even though the dress was a little "big" for my taste, it had beautiful clean lines and wasn't at all "trendy" for the time. Her makeup was simple and clean and her hair was pulled back from her face -- overall very "angelic." The reception was to die for -- gorgeous white tent, classic place settings, all of the guests in black-tie and elegant music. Also, remember that FABULOUS little "getaway" ensemble she wears as the couple is leaving for their honeymoon?! Love it! I can only hope that my wedding will be as perfect and timeless as Cameron's in My Best Friend's Wedding!

Clearly I couldn't address ALL of the different types of "movie weddings," but which one would you say you are -- and if it's not listed, I would love to see new suggestions!!! :)

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Which Movie Wedding Are You?