Waterproof Eyeliner Showdown: Makeup Forever vs GOSH

Posted by follow me On 0 comments
I currently have two black eyeliners that claim to be waterproof; Makeup Forever's Aqua Eyes, and GOSH's Velvet Touch. Both are great eyeliners; richly pigmented, smooth to apply, fairly long lasting.. everything you could want from a basic black eyeliner really. But what of this waterproof claim? Presumably, as with waterproof mascara, the point is that should you get caught in an unexpected rainshower or have a bit of a cry, you won't end up looking panda-eyed.

I decided to give the waterproof moniker an extreme test by wearing both liners swimming. I wear googles, so it's not like I've expected them to bear 40 lengths of immersion; the level of exposure is more condensation from my skin within the goggles and a few quick dips underwater.

Here are some comparisons. Bear in mind I didn't put any effort into applying the liner (I wasn't expecting it to really stick around long) - just stroked a line along my lash line and went to the pool.


As you can see, both have transferred and smudged a little bit underneath the eye, and in the case of the Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes, transferred to the lid too. However, both pencils stayed put a good deal more than I expected them to, and neither of them looked excessively messy post-swim. Comparing the two, they are pretty much on a par, which is interesting given that the MUFE offering costs £11.95, and the GOSH alternative costs just £5.

Either of these pencils would be viable if you're aiming to protect against heavy rain or tears, although I'd probably call them water resistant instead of waterproof. The only truly waterproof eyeliner I've tried is MAC's Liquid Last Liner, which is so waterproof that it's a bugger to get off.

If you'd like to conduct your own water-related eyeliner test, you can grab the GOSH Velvet Touch liner from Superdrug for £5, or the Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes liner from Guru Makeup Emporium for £11.95.

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Waterproof Eyeliner Showdown: Makeup Forever vs GOSH