Babies In The City

Posted by follow me On 0 comments
Just the other day on the way up to our apartment, M. and I noticed a couple with what looked like a brand new baby, just coming home from the hospital. The baby was held close to the mothers chest and was wrapped in a beautiful pale blue (looked like cashmere) cable knit blanket. Probably one of the sweetest things was the mother who was holding her precious newborn baby was followed by her husband who carried all of the necessities – a baby bath, giant pillow, baby bag, and what looked like a bassinet liner. The evening that we saw them it was SO COLD OUT. The wind was literally whipping around us and was SO COLD that our faces looked chapped when we made it inside. I cannot imagine bringing a newborn baby home in this weather to an apartment in the city….but then again, I can. Not so much the freezing cold part of that equation, but possibly the apartment in the city.

I’ve had several people ask me how long we’ll stay in the city and to be honest I have no idea. We're not setting an exact time limit, but of course we've talked about timing in general. As I told M. the other day – I’m not so much “in love” with New York the city. Of course, I like New York VERY, VERY MUCH, but being in this city is not why I was dying to move here – I was just dying for the job possibilities that are available.

It’s only natural that once you’re married you start thinking about the long term (duh!). You plan your entire life around this other person and the steps that you’re going to take together. For us, that also means children (eventually). We’re obviously not planning on having kids anytime soon, but sometimes my mind wanders and I think about how we’ll want to raise our kids and WHERE we’ll want to raise my kids. I sometimes wonder if we’ll still be in the city when I eventually (and hopefully) get pregnant. I wonder what it would be like to raise a child in the big city and if it would be a good thing. Obviously there would be positives to it and negatives (as the giant fluffy snowflakes fall outside of my work window I wonder if I cold endure the cold weather with a baby!)! Then of course I wonder if it would be better to raise a child in more of a neighborhood setting, like when I was a child. But of course if we wait to have children until we move somewhere with more of that neighborhood setting…well, that could be further down the road!

Of course then there is the whole topic of going back to work too….At this point I’m not overly concerned with planning out every step of our lives, instead I am enjoying being a newlywed and living an interesting life with my husband. In the time that we’ve been together (married and not) we’ve been through so many interesting adventures and I can only imagine what the future has in store for us!

What do you think about raising a baby in a big city - or simply making a life in a big city? Is city life for you or are you more of a simple neighborhood kind of gal?!

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Babies In The City