The Almost Wedding Dress

Posted by follow me On 0 comments
I didn't have THAT hard of a time picking out my wedding dress. I was a debutante during the winter of my sophomore year of college & my gown was beautiful -- an Alvina Valenta creation -- a simple shape with a wide v-neck & gorgeous crystal & embroidery detail. I love my debutante gown - especially the AMAZING silk satin gloves with pearl buttons that my Mom & I picked up during a visit to NYC. The picture to the left is one of my all time faves - it's my dad & me - I love that you can see the buttons that went all the was down the back of the gown, the deep v-back, the beautiful bustle, & my pretty up-do! The thing I love most about this image is the huge smile on my dad's face. I love it! The picture to the right is one of my favorite deb gals & me.

When I first got engaged I knew I didn't want something like my debutante gown -- I needed something different! Of course, I went through my dress "phases". I started at the Vera Wang boutique in my area. I fell in love with (surprise) a very "southern belle-esque" gown. I loved everything about it -- the fit, the details -- amazing! My mom on the other hand didn't love it. This was OK with me, but I really did want her to love the dress as much as I did. I still like the Vera gown, but I'm not in LOVE with the whole "feel" of the dress anymore. (The Vera boutique didn't allow pictures -- surprise, surprise)

My second visit was to a boutique with a few designers I hadn't yet tried. I immediately ditched the idea of the Vera gown when I discovered an amazingly structured Romona Keveza piece. This dress was SO different & catered to the bride inside of me who wanted to look trendy & different on my wedding day. Again, I could tell my mom didn't LOVE the gown. It certainly isn't something wacky, but it didn't have the classic lines I tend to adore. I loved the crumb catcher detail at the bust & adored the way the gown highlighted my 5'9 figure. I also loved the beaded belt that the bridal associate added to the gown -- it made the dress for me -- actually, so did the long veil! It was fashion forward & special -- my mom wasn't convinced that I was ready to make a decision.

Enter the third & final stop -- even though I had already convinced myself that the Romona gown was "the one," I went into the experience with an open mind.The boutique was absolutely gorgeous which got me really excited! I tried on a few & then there it was -- my dress!!! I kind of knew from the begining that it was totally me -- classic with a little modern twist. I was so excited about the gown, but I needed to be sure. I went back to the boutique with the Romona & tried it on for a third time (yes, I know, three times). I started to compare the dresses & do a little pro & con list. Obviously you know that I didn't go with the Romona (considering I posted a picture of it above). The dress I chose will look classic & pretty forever - it will look fabulous with my fiancee dressed up in a tux & it matches our Catholic ceremony & country club reception perfectly -- the dress is totally me.....& my mom absolutely loves it!

When I purchased my gown the ladies at the boutique gave me the cutest gift bag (because most brides don't get to leave with their gowns on the day they purchase, the boutique likes to give out the gift bags so that they feel like they get to take a momento home!) The crisp, white bag lined with polka dot tissue paper was filled with a few wedding magazines, information about the boutique, & an adorable t-shirt which I now like to use to lounge around the house in -- the front says "VIP Bride" & the back is printed with the boutiques name & big numbers zero-nine (09') with the phrase "Off the Market". How cute is that?!

So you won't know which dress I chose until after the big day, but I am SO excited to wear it next June when I become a Mrs.!!

What was your evolution of dresses?

0 comments:

Post a comment on: The Almost Wedding Dress