Wedding DIY Details: Custom "North Carolina" CD

Posted by follow me On 0 comments
I wanted to share another fun wedding DIY project with you, one that will be included in our welcome gift bags for our out-of-town guests. We have a fun lineup for our gift bags -- a fun array of delicious snacks, the cute custom map that I designed (cut and printed with a welcome note on the back), and a pretty logo I designed for the front of the bags. Even though we have SO much already going into the bags, I wanted to have one more special detail so I came up with a North Carolina themed CD since we’ll be getting married in NC!

Even though my family is technically “from the south” I wouldn’t say that we’re exactly the most “southern” family. I have a SERIOUS love for BBQ pulled pork, cornbread and coleslaw, but you won't find me ordering a "sweet tea" at a restaurant EVER -- in fact, I've never even tried it. My cousin Greg (raised and still living in Wisconsin) pokes fun at our family for having "southern accents," but I can assure you that we really don't -- we never use phrases like "ya'll" (not that using "ya'll" is a bad thing -- we just weren't raised to use the phrase!), hey, my parents were born and raised in Wisconsin too -- so maybe that explains it!

Despite our total (or at least I think so) lack of "southern-ness" I decided that the CD cover HAD to incorporate funny southern phrases to truly welcome our guests to the south! :) I apologize if any of you use these phrases for real, I think they're cute, really!! :)

So the cast of characters for this DIY project…Blank CD’s, clear CD cases, pink cardstock, white cardstock, a pair of scissors and some Zip-Dry paper glue.

First things first! I created a fun playlist of my favorite North Carolina related songs and burned them to around 40 blank CD’s. Some of the artists on the CD include (just to name a few) James Taylor (a classic!), Eric Church, Jo Dee Messina, Ryan Adams, and Blues Traveler -- I found the perfect mix of music -- country, rock, and easy-listening! I think my playlist ended up being around 11 songs which is a good length because you don’t want NC overkill! :)

After burning all of the CD’s I started the design for the CD case cover. Like all of the DIY designs incorporated into our wedding, I used Photoshop for this project. Obviously this design work was done before I purchased my new computer a few weeks ago! I made the design VERY simple. I wanted it to be easy to read, but I wanted it to have a little flair so I ended up mixing and matching the fonts and font sizes.

Like I mentioned above, I wanted to include fun “southern” phrases and this is what I came up with (you should be able to click the image to the right to see it bigger)!!! It took me probably 30 minutes to come up with the entire spiel. I decided to use the colors that would be incorporated into our big day, so the pink and peach were perfect mixed with the slate gray! I also included the little chandelier icon in the bottom right corner because we had a chandelier on our save-the-dates and “chandeliers” were used throughout our engagement party – it’s sort of our unofficial wedding motif, if you will!

The next step of course was to print and cut out each individual design. After cutting each of the squares (which, by the way I designed to be slightly smaller than the display area of the CD) I cut the pink cardstock to the exact size of the CD case display window and then glued on each of the design cards to the center of the pink square using my Zip-Dry paper glue.

I assembled the CD’s in their cases and popped in my design! I think they turned out GREAT and the project as a whole probably cost about $35 which is so inexpensive for a detail that will really make a WOW statement in our welcome bags! Plus…the songs on the CD are actually really good, so I know that my guests will want to listen to the CD over and over again!! :)

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Wedding DIY Details: Custom "North Carolina" CD