Heirloom Quilt

Posted by follow me On 0 comments

Today I am participating in Suzanne's Vintage Thingie Thursday over at her lovely blog Colorado Lady. While we have many "vintage thingies" in our cottage, this quilt is especially precious to us. Victorian "Crazy Quilts" were very popular back in the late 1800's. Silks and velvets were used and embellished to form a very random pattern.

This particular quilt was handed down to my husband from his father, who received it from his own mother. I believe it was originally made for my husband's great grandfather by his sisters. They embellished their patches with initials, flowers, kittens and birds.

Look at this sweet little kitten with it's paw in the fish bowl!

And the pretty daisies. I think that those are my favorites!

We do not display this quit too often. It is still in excellent condition and we are doing our best to preserve it . May 16, 1888 was a long time ago, yet I can sense the dedication and creativity of the young women who lovingly created this quilt.


I hope you have enjoyed this precious heirloom. Please be sure to stop by and visit all of the other postings at Suzanne's "Vintage Thingie Thursday"!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

0 comments:

Post a comment on: Heirloom Quilt